Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Etiquette Of Eating A Mankurad Amo!

You don't just buy one, you have to earn one!!


Okay, I stole that line from Cadbury Bournville Ad! But that's the best way to convey my sentiments about the Mankurad Amo! Now for the non Goan folks, "Amo" means a Mango, and "Mankurad" is the Goan variety or specialty!

They call the Mango the king of fruits, then Mankurad is the king of Mangoes! ( I know each Mango growing state will want to debate that with the best they have, only because they haven't yet tasted the Mankurad!!.......I bet you try one and then debate on this issue, no one can eat just one!! ( Okay, I stole this tag line too..... :-) )

From what I've heard, Mankurad was originally grown in Portugal, and a sapling was transported to their colony in Goa, and today Goa is the only state in the whole wide world to grow this species of Mangoes! Even Portugal doesn't have it anymore. ( Anyone else who knows any other story , you are welcome to share it!)

Mancurado or Malcurado means "poor color".... I don't know who the hell named this species to mean that! I read some Goan lady say, "How can a mango, which when eaten, transports one straight to heaven, be called malcurado which means poor colour ?"....so true!!!

Anyway, if you anytime are honored with this mango, then there are ways or etiquette to eat it! You don't just pick one and eat it!!

First you pick it up and smell it!

No ! Wait! First, you smile......before picking up the Mankurad , you smile.........though that is very natural to all Goans , others have to strictly do it to please the very Mankurad that you are going to eat! ( In my case I simply hop and jump around, especially now that I stay in Bengaluru and I don't get to eat a Mankurad everyday!! )

Step 2: You cut it into neat slices! Remember not to smudge or disturb the pulp!

Step 3: You smell it one's again!

You see, Mankurad is to be eaten at leisure, for that you need to give lots of time, it's not something you gulp down to just finish the task!!

You take small bites, and chew it slowly .......preferably close your eyes while you eat it!

Only after you are done with the slices can you go for the main seed! And you have to eat the seed till the color turns from yellow to white!! Waste nothing my friend!! Waste Nothing!!

You cannot plant the seed after you are done with it and expect it to bear you a Mankurad! You need a graft of Mankurad if you want to grow one, and you need to be in Goa to grow one!

This season, if any of your Goan friends are visiting home, the only thing to ask them to get back when they come is a Mankurad Amo! Each Mankurad should be carefully wrapped in a paper and then all of them put together in a bag....

Well! I hope you follow the rules when you get to eat the Mankurad! If I was in Goa, I would have said all are welcome to come home and have one, but here I treasure each Mankurad that I get!! So sorry, no invitations here! ( This can be another etiquette! You may not want to share a Mankurad, and it's perfectly understood!)

12 comments:

  1. hahahaha... i liked this very much... including the stolen punch lines and the smiling and smelling steps!
    hmmm... time to call my goan friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too gud...I felt like eating 1 now!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad! I can't even invite u home!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will remember to smell, and smile, and close my eyes :)
    But my favorite is Begampalli from Vishakhapatnam, After all taste lies, in the beholder's eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true!!
    And after all a mango is a mango- it is the king of fruits.........its taste differs, but there's a mango to suit each one's taste buds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...very well said..Mankurad is truly the king of mangoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish we could grow "maankuraad" mangoes with just their seeds here in Bengaluru itself :-(.

    God, are you listening :-D??

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummmmmm ..... i was drooling while reading ur descriptions .... well...now i'm off to have one mankurad.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..this is exactly how I eat Mankurad..to the very last.. i often find myself scrapping the seed on my teeth to get last ounce of juice..

    I have traveled around India n eaten many mangoes.. but none beats Mankurad.. Even the seed and the skin is sweet unlike the so called "tasty" mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Join this
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mankurad-Mangoes/212887382073052

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...